:: Re: [DNG] Building from source pack…
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Building from source package
On Thursday 25 May 2023 at 16:20:03, Bill Purvis wrote:

> On 25/05/2023 12:44, Antony Stone wrote:
> >
> > So, does anyone know where to find the build options that were used by
> > the binary package maintainer, so that I can apply the same ones myself
> > and create a binary that resembles the "standard" one?

> Obvious first step would be try running strip on the above executable.

Agreed, however I wonder why that's not part of the standard Debian build
process, if that's what the maintainers of the binary package do?

> That would strip out all the symbolic info, which is normally done in the
> the distros. If that doesn't get a match, then you'd need to download source
> code from the distros and compile that.

What do you mean by "download source from the distros"?

As far as I'm concerned, my distro is Devuan, and that gives me the Debian
source package, which is what I started from.

If you mean the upstream Asterisk project source code, I certainly do not want
to try starting from there in order to debug a problem which I'm experiencing
with the Debian binary - that introduces far too many unknowns to decide how
to fix it.

> Compiling that should (though I can't guarantee) and exact match.

An exact match to the binary which gets installed as /sbin/asterisk by "apt-
get install asterisk"?

I'd love to see the instructions for that.

> There are usually a host of options which can be specified when running
> ./configure (or whatever the package uses) and this can only be determined if
> you can establish contact with whoever handled the package for that distro.

I have sent an email, waiting for a response.

> I've never felt a real need to pursue things to this extent. If I can track
> down a bug and fix it myself, I'd submit it, but continue using my fixed
> version, rather than wait for the fix to percolate through.

Agreed, but that is not my question. I simply want to know that I'm starting
this investigation from a compiled binary which is as close to the version
installed by Devuan (which is where I'm seeing the suspected bug) as possible.

Antony.

--
I conclude that there are two ways of constructing a software design: One way
is to make it so simple that there are _obviously_ no deficiencies, and the

- C A R Hoare

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.