:: [DNG] Building from source package
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Building from source package
Hi.

I have a requirement to build an application (in this case, Asterisk) from
source, so that I can add some debugging flags in order to investigate a
suspected bug.

I would prefer to build this from the Debian/Devuan source package rather than
the upstream Asterisk project tarball, in order to be as compatible as
possible with the version I'm running which shows the suspected bug.

I wanted firstly to build a "standard" binary, just to be sure that I was doing
the right thing and ending up with what would normally get installed from the
Debian/Devuan binary package, before building anything a bit different.

Incidentally, this is for Asterisk 16.28.0 under Beowulf.

I used the following commands to build from source:

- apt-get install dpkg-dev build-essentials
- apt-get source asterisk
- apt build-dep asterisk
- dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc -us

The result was a binary file *14398296* bytes in size, whereas the file
installed by a standard "apt-get install asterisk" is *3057784* bytes.

The "file" command shows me the difference:

Standard binary install: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1
(SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for
GNU/Linux 3.2.0, BuildID[sha1]=bca5c23ab46cabfba3829bd2e9e4c775b3adc502,
stripped

Result of building from source: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version
1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for
GNU/Linux 3.2.0, BuildID[sha1]=34c3e31098866fcf1c5591eeb193f5efe77ff704, with
debug_info, not stripped

So, does anyone know where to find the build options that were used by the
binary package maintainer, so that I can apply the same ones myself and create
a binary that resembles the "standard" one?

Thanks,

Antony.

--
What do you call a dinosaur with only one eye? A Doyouthinkesaurus.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.