:: Re: [DNG] compose key with Dell key…
Author: Haines Brown
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] compose key with Dell keyboard [solved]
On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 05:40:56PM +0100, Bill Purvis wrote:
> On 17/05/2023 16:56, al3xu5 via Dng wrote:
> > Wed, 17 May 2023 11:16:57 -0400 - Haines Brown<haines@???>:

> Does your Dell keyboard actually have an Alt key on the right of space?

Yes it does.

> If so try running xev. This pops up a window, move the mouse over it and
> press the right Alt key and see what it reports.

Bill, my fault, I had forgotten the xev command. Using it I find that
the right Alt keysymb for the right Alt key on the Dell keyboard is
Multi_key. Setting that as the compose key solved my problem.

Questions remain. I have Multi_key set as my comppose key for
XKBOPTIONS in /etc/default/keyboard and I also copied this keyboard
file to ~/.Xmodmap.

If this default file is the default default, is it really necessary to
place a copy in ~/ directory?

In my window manager (fluxbox) start up file there is a fossil line:

    setxkbmap -option compose:ralt

This line is being ignored. But my question is, if I instead had the
line:

    setxkbmap -option comose:Multi_key

would this supersede values defined in /etc/default/keyboard or in
~/.Xmodemap?