:: Re: [DNG] Other language characters…
Author: tempforever
CC: Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] Other language characters (was Re: compose key with Dell keyboard) - - OT??
o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:

> I have a problem - - - - I'm multi-lingual.
> Started my computing on a Mac+ some almost 40 years ago and there it
> was easy option 'u' was for umlaut, option 'c' was for cedilla - - -
> more options - - (LOL) most of those are still in memory.
> Sadly - - - well at least I haven't found anything that easy!!! - - -
> it don't work like that in *nix universe - - - or maybe it does and I
> just don't know about it.
>
> Know about using different keyboards but I find the qwertz for one to
> be a real pain in the posterior when I'm typing anything more than
> even a few words because there are just enough letters in different
> locations that touch typing is 'out the window' and I'm fairly good at
> that typing stuff.
>
> Are there any memorizable options for using special characters from a
> '105 key' keyboard?

I would not consider being multi-lingual to be a "problem" :-)

On my US keyboard, with English layout [I also have Greek and Spanish
layouts installed], the cedilla (ç) can be obtained by using compose,
comma, then c.  Use compose key then single-quotation-mark then a vowel
to get an accented vowel (á é etc.).  For umlaut, press compose then
double-quotation-mark then the vowel (ä ö etc).  For ñ, press compose
then tilde then n.  For one-half, press compose then the number one then
the number two.  It's basically compose-key followed by the two
characters you want to put together into one.  compose a e æ, compose
carat a â.  compose o a å, but compose o o °.  Experiment around with
it.  I use caps-lock for compose key (it's easily accessible and I very
rarely miss the normal caps-lock feature).