:: Re: [DNG] Problem found. I've been…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Problem found. I've been stupid.
On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 09:10:43PM -0600, Bob Proulx via Dng wrote:
> Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > It turns out I needed VG1 because it contains the root directory /
> > And it also turns out that VG1 is on the defective RAID1 that's on the drive I'm removing.
>
> Aha! That would cause problems. :-)
>
> > I'll have to move the root partition to VG-3T, which *is* on the drive I'm keeping.
>
> I am not quite in sync but wanted to post that pvmove will move data
> from one PV to another PV. I have used it often.

It looks quite useful. There are about three file systems I have to move.

> Allows moving data
> in an active LVM VG from one disk to another disk. All live while the
> system is running. It's pretty cool. But in any case it is a way to
> move data from one PV disk to another and works well.

Can it move file systems from one volume group to another volume group?
Because that's the situation I have here.

I won't be moving a file system within a volume group. When I'm done,
PV1 will be extinct and all its still relevant file systems will
reside in PV-3T. And while I'm at it, I may as well merge / and usr
to avoid trouble with the sadly expected usrmerge.
And I may have to update the entries in /etc/fstab accordingly.

Looks like all I'll have to do is move a few file systems from VG1 to VG-3T.
The example on the pvmove an page is:

    Move extents belonging to a single LV.
    pvmove -n lvol1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1

Unfortunately, the document doesn't manage to say which argument is the
source and which is the destination. I'm guessing that the /dev/sdb1 in
the example is the source, and that /dev/sdb1 is the destination, but I
haven't actually seen that stated.

Of course I'll be using different partition names from the example.

-- hendrik