:: Re: [DNG] Connect Mac laptop to lin…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] Connect Mac laptop to linux printer
Le 14/04/2023 à 15:02, Haines Brown a écrit :
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2023 at 07:25:34PM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
>>> My basic problem seems to be that my linux/printer is on one network
>>> and the Mac laptop on another.
>>>
>>     Your linux box can act as a print server if it has connections to both
>> networks. This is one of the features of Cups I don't like very much,
>> because I think it can be a security hole. But Cups offers this by design.
> Didier, in CUPS I had checked "Share this printer". However I don't
> see how doing so makes the printer accesible to a Mac laptop on
> another network (different routers).
>
> If the Mac is on a different network than linux box, is the only way
> to enable the Mac to access the Linux printer to provide the Mac
> with the printer's public IP address?

    What I mean is the printer and the mac need not be on the same
network if the linux box is on *both*. When the linux box is on two
networks, it can use the printer on one of the networks and offer
service on the other network. This way it acts as a bridge between the
two networks -- only for printing. But, I repeat, the linux box which
shares the printers must have connections to the two networks.