:: [DNG] Bluetooth packages for Devuan…
Author: hal
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Bluetooth packages for Devuan?
Hi All,
I'm trying to get a bluetooth headset working on Devuan. I'm mostly finding directions
for systemd so not sure how to do this. I seem to be missing "snd_bt*" drivers for the
kernel, as well as the "bluealsa" or "bluez-alsa" package[0], but maybe these are uneeded?

For reasons mostly unknown, both Alsa and Pulseaudio packages are installed on my system.
Originally, I just had Alsa installed and things worked well. When I installed the Steam
client app, it pulled in some Pulse dependencies and now alsa seems to control some things,
while pulse controls others.

I have some bluetooth packages installed[1] and was able to pair[2] the headset using the
bluetoothctl utility[2]. I think I have an Alsa[3] block configured in /etc/asound.conf but
it does not show up[4] with aplay -l and trying to direct aplay to the hardware address of
the paired headset does not work. Any thoughts?

- card0 are my USB speakers
- card1 is a 2.4ghz logitech headset with dying battery
- card2 and card3 are the motherboard sound jacks (I guess)
- card4 is Nvidia HDMI (I guess)

[0]
https://github.com/Arkq/bluez-alsa

[1]
# dpkg -l | grep -i blue
ii  bluetooth                                     5.55-3.1                           all          Bluetooth support (metapackage)
ii  bluez                                         5.55-3.1                           amd64        Bluetooth tools and daemons
ii  bluez-obexd                                   5.55-3.1                           amd64        bluez obex daemon
ii  bluez-tools                                   2.0~20170911.0.7cb788c-4           amd64        Set of tools to manage Bluetooth devices for linux
ii  gnome-brave-icon-theme                        5.5.1-2.1                          all          blue variation of the GNOME-Colors icon theme
ii  libkf5bluezqt-data                            5.78.0-3                           all          data files for bluez-qt
ii  libkf5bluezqt6:amd64                          5.78.0-3                           amd64        Qt wrapper for bluez
ii  pulseaudio-module-bluetooth                   14.2-2                             amd64        Bluetooth module for PulseAudio sound server
ii  qml-module-org-kde-bluezqt:amd64              5.78.0-3                           amd64        QML wrapper for bluez

[2]
# bluetoothctl devices
Device 41:42:AC:26:6A:7B M102

[3]
# tail -9 /etc/asound.conf
pcm.M102 {
    type plug
    slave.pcm {
      type bluealsa
      device "41:42:AC:26:6A:7B"
      profile "a2dp"
    }
}

[4]
# aplay -l
card 0: AUDIO [USB AUDIO], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Headset [Logitech Wireless Headset], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC889 Analog [ALC889 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC889 Digital [ALC889 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 3: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 3: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 3: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 3: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 3: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 3: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 11: HDMI 5 [HDMI 5]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 3: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 12: HDMI 6 [HDMI 6]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

[5]
# aplay -D bluealsa:HCI=hci0,DEV=41:42:AC:26:6A:7B,PROFILE=a2dp /tmp/eve6.mp3
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM bluealsa:HCI=hci0,DEV=41:42:AC:26:6A:7B,PROFILE=a2dp
aplay: main:830: audio open error: No such file or directory