:: Re: [DNG] Another Tentacle
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Another Tentacle
Ken Dibble said on Fri, 31 Mar 2023 20:15:29 -0400

[snip]

> From the man page:
>
>The /xscreensaver-systemd/ program is a helper daemon launched by
>xscreensaver(1) <https://man.archlinux.org/man/xscreensaver.1.en> for
>systemd(1) <https://man.archlinux.org/man/systemd.1.en> or elogind(8)
><https://man.archlinux.org/man/elogind.8.en> integration. It does two
>things:
>
>***
>    When the system is about to go to sleep (e.g., the laptop lid has
>    just been closed) it locks the screen just /before/ the system
>    sleeps, by running /xscreensaver-command --suspend/. When the
> system wakes up again, it runs /xscreensaver-command --deactivate/ to
> make the unlock dialog appear immediately. It does this through the
>    org.freedesktop.login1(5)
>    <https://man.archlinux.org/man/org.freedesktop.login1.5.en> D-Bus
>    interface.

[snip]

>My understanding of the documentation is that communication with
>elogind should be through the
>
>D-Bus interface.
>

>My questions, which I am sure that I will not be able to understand
>the answer to, are
>
>Why do we have something that looks like it belongs to systemd running?
>
>Why do we need to have a separate daemon just to put something on the
>DBus interface?
>

>Confused as usual,
>
>Ken

Hi Ken,

I can't answer any of your questions, but I'm pretty sure you can sleep
and wake with use of the inotify interface, assuming the waking
interrupt runs some code to bring back state.

Years ago I demonstrated, on this list, using inotifywait to mount and
dismount thumb drives.

SteveT

Steve Litt