:: Re: [DNG] Security Policies
Author: Ken Dibble
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Security Policies
On 3/23/23 18:46, Jonathan Drews via Dng wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 06:00:13PM -0400, Ken Dibble wrote:
>> Sorry for the overly general subject.
>>
>> I really couldn't quickly establish a subject that would encompass my
>> thoughts.
>>

>> The Event:
>>
>> I don't usually do graphics stuff (no talent), but occassionally I am called
>> upon by family
>>
>> to help them.?? In this instance it was a child's drawing and writing
>> samples being sent to a
>>
>> specialized physician.?? For some reason they would not accept anything
>> other than pdf
>>
>> and the source material was most certainly not a pdf.
>>
>> The first thought was the 'convert' tool from imagemagick.?? It would not
>> allow me to change
>>
>> the jpegs to pdf.???? The reason given was imagemagick security policy.
> Use GraphiccsMagick. I tried convert with my GrapicsMagick installed
> on Devuan and converted *.jpeg to *.pdf with no problems.
>
> --
> Kind regards,
> Jonathan

|    Imagemagick developpers habve become mental. Their software is
delivered non-working by explicit |design. I would imagine Debian would
have changed that, but no.

|    To make it usable, you should modify /etc/ImageMagick-6/policy.xml
(if acl allows you to do so) in the |following way: replace every
occurence of 'rights="none"' with 'rights="all"' . Needless to do it
inside |xml comment-lines <?-- ...-->.

 |   I acl forbids you to do it, there's probably some tool you have to
learn to use to change the acl, but |the simplest way is to remount /
whith -o noacl.

--     Didier

Thank you both for the kind suggestions.

The conversion problem was already taken care of. (I can usually find a
big enough hammer....)

My post was more about the insanity behind this and whether anyone is
going to do anything about it.

Regards,

Ken