:: Re: [DNG] encroachment of usr merge
Author: Mark Hindley
To: Hendrik Boom
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] encroachment of usr merge
On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 08:48:15AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> Since Debian seems to be pushing usr merge, I have to ask:
>
> Does chimaera need /usr to be on the same partition as / ?
> Does deadalus need /usr to be on the same partition as / ?
> Does the next one (whose name will start with e)
> need /usr to be on the same partition as / ?
>
> and
>
> Does ceres require /usr tp be on the same partition as / ?
>
> I suspect the answer to all these questions is 'no',
> but I need to know before I upgrade my server from beowulf,
> which does not have /usr on the same partition as /

These questions are not the same as usr merge in Debian[1].

The answer to the specific questions is no, /usr can be a separate partition.

As far as usr merge itself goes, it is available in Devuan (apt-get install
usrmerge) but not forced (usrmerge package is not pulled in by
init-system-helpers and debootstrap does not install it by default). However,
that might not be a sustainable position in the longer term. If that has to
change, plenty of warning will be given.

Mark

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/UsrMerge