:: Re: [devuan-dev] deb.devuan.org rou…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] deb.devuan.org round-robin causing pain
On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 12:33:18AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For the last two, three hours I've been experiencing rather persistent
> package download failures trying to debootstrap and migrate releases for
> my Docker images in CI/CD jobs. All use
>
> http://deb.devuan.org/merged
>
> in their sources.list.

I've had similar problems when using aptitude. It turned out the the problem was with connman. When the devuan round-robin system chooses a random mirror to act as deb.devuan.org, connman caches it in an internal cache.
Connman also edits resolv.conf to point to localhost and the connman process takes over all DNS resolution.

Result: if once you get a dud mirror, you always get the dud mirror. connman doesn't even do a new DNS lookup because it's a lnow-it-all.

I fixed it by hand-editing resolv.conf to use 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 or the like nefore using aptitude *every time*. Then aptitude works just fine until the next time connman is used. Which sometimes happens during the upgrade if there's an updated connman package.

I'm still hoping to get wicd back.

-- hendrik