:: [devuan-dev] deb.devuan.org round-r…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: [devuan-dev] deb.devuan.org round-robin causing pain
Hi,

For the last two, three hours I've been experiencing rather persistent
package download failures trying to debootstrap and migrate releases for
my Docker images in CI/CD jobs. All use

http://deb.devuan.org/merged

in their sources.list.

Normally, the jobs taking care of this succeed without a hitch (unless I
screw things up), but debootstrap has been unable to download "random"
packages and migrations show similar symptoms. The random bit is in the
packages that fail to download. These differ between jobs.

Unfortunately, debootstrap hides the server it tries to download from
but other package downloads in the jobs that use it, as well as the
migration jobs, point at 60.234.200.136 being the culprit.

A reverse DNS lookup[1] says that's mx1.4mail.nz (which is not on the
list of mirrors[2], btw).

[1]: https://www.nslookup.io/ip/60.234.200.136/domain-names/
[2]: https://www.devuan.org/get-devuan

If someone could address this that would be appreciated. Here address
could be one of getting that server to get its act together or take it
of the round-robin DNS until it giet its act together.

Right now, trying to download packages is a crap-shoot from where I'm
at. BTW, you can see the results of that in the failed build jobs at

https://gitlab.com/paddy-hack/container-images/-/pipelines/809891130
https://gitlab.com/paddy-hack/container-images/-/pipelines/810031670

Hope this helps,
--