:: Re: [unSYSTEM] Unix + Guns + Crypto…
Author: grarpamp
To: System undo crew
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] Unix + Guns + Crypto + Voluntary = Freedom ?
> Like dropgangs, and guerilla p2p wifi and fiber,
> GNURadio RF has a huge anti-censorship and freedom
> potential that few are working with yet.

If such radio tech was distributed p2p and used encrypted spectrum,
it could not get shutdown as crypto begins reaching adoption
levels that cause the State to enter desperate panic survival mode...

https://github.com/koodilehto/kryptoradio

What is Kryptoradio?

Kryptoradio is a cryptocurrency data transmission system that

    transmits bitcoin transactions, blocks, and currency exchange data,
    does all this in real-time,
    uses terrestrial television (DVB-T) transmitters around the world.
    Bitcoins in the air, literally speaking.

[As featured on Slashdot, Bittiraha.fi, BoingBoing, Bitcoinist.net]

Any unidirectional digital transmission path with a sufficient error
correction is suitable for this project. In addition to DVB-T there
are many other possible ways to transmit Bitcoin stream like
subcarriers of FM radio transmission, amateur radio, and DAB. We chose
DVB-T for our pilot project because of its flexibility and wide
support in most parts of the world, shown in blue in the map below
(source: Wikipedia).
[Terrestrial television systems worldwide. Public domain. Source: Wikipedia.]
Why?
[YLE transmission tower in Pasila, Helsinki, Finland. CC-BY-SA 3.0]

The primary motivators are

    creating unprecedented devices and applications,
    making the bitcoin network more resistant to attacks,
    promoting bitcoin as a viable payment platform, and of course
    because we can!

There has been many attempts to make bitcoin less dependent of the
public Internet. For example Bitcoin core developer Greg Maxwell has
advocated that. One approach is to use Tor network to hide bitcoin
traffic from the public Internet. Unfortunately this does not make
bitcoin more accessible to new users. The better approach is to go
beyond Internet and use public infrastructure for broadcasting
transactions of the bitcoin network.

Alternative blockchain transports are critical to the success and
survivability of the Bitcoin system.Bitcoin core developer Greg
Maxwell

This scheme makes it easy to construct affordable receivers that do
not need mobile data connections in order to follow bitcoin traffic
and to react to the received bitcoin payments. This would make it
possible to build bitcoin counterpart for cash payment terminals,
anything from a cash register to a coin operated self-service laundry.
If the receiver application follows only transactions relevant to
itself, it will be possible to build it using even an ARM
microcontroller.

Also, it allows an alternative way to access the bitcoin network in
cases where only a very low speed Internet connection is available.
And, for all the tin foil hat wearers out there, this is a way to
connect to bitcoin network without a trace! You only need online
access when you want to make transactions yourself.

The data stream can contain other information, such as exchange rates
between bitcoins and traditional currencies. Also, we are able to
carry multiple cryptocurrencies in the stream in addition to Bitcoin.
What happens next?
[Coverage map of Digita E multiplex. Remake of original.]

We have found a partner who is able to cover costs for the pilot
stage. The pilot stage will start in 1st of September, 2014 and last
for 2 months. The broadcast area covers 95% of Finnish population,
approximately 5 million people. More information in the news and press
releases.

There is plan to start regular broadcasting soon after the pilot
stage. We are currently looking for partners to that stage.

We have had a quick look at bitcoin crowdfunding. Our first impression
is that the available platforms are not very good either
technologically or by the number of users. If someone has ideas how to
collect funds for this project, please contact us!
How to contribute

In Finland we have this thing called Money Collection Act which means
that it is not legal to ask money without compensation. However, in
this case the compensation is the radio broadcast.

All funds sent to the project's bitcoin address will be used for
covering regular broadcasting costs. If the project gets cancelled,
all extra funds will be returned to their sending addresses.

In addition to financial support you are welcome to join the team if
you are capable of helping us with the software, to improve web pages,
or anything else. Please contact us by e-mail. If you want to use
encryption, here's my PGP key.

You are also welcome to join #bitcoinradio IRC channel at FreeNode.

Technology

The software part of this project consists of two separate
applications: serializer and deserializer. The former connects to the
the bitcoin network, receives transactions and blocks, then puts them
into a queue, which is then processed according to given priorities
and finally serialized to a stream of bytes. The result is passed to
transmitter. On the other end, a tuner is connected to the
deserializer, which parses the incoming stream and emulates a bitcoin
node serving transactions and blocks to all connected bitcoin nodes.
[Illustration of Kryptoradio components.]

Unlike many other radio technologies, DVB-T is very flexible platform.
We can start with very scarce bandwidth and scale up later. When the
block sizes grow in the future, we can broadcast it without any
interruptions. Handling of 10 megabyte blocks in the future is not an
issue. We can also embed many kinds of other data to the stream. What
do you think about receiving your favourite IRC channel via Digital
TV?
Current status
The software

Kryptoradio encoder and decoder are programmed in Haskell. Bitcoin
data source is programmed in C (gnu99) and depends on Glib, LibSSL and
Linux. Some data sources are written in POSIX shell. All source code
is licensed under GNU AGPLv3+. The sources are available at GitHub.

In production:

    Kryptoradio encoder supports multiple data sources
    Bitcoin bandwidth optimization. We are optimizing the blocks by
referencing to already sent transactions by their tx id, and does not
retransmit them in a new block. The receiver assembles the block,
keeping it compatible with all bitcoin clients. (This is probably the
first implementation which solves a known scalability problem of
bitcoin.)
    Broadcasting of Bitstamp full order book and trade data
    Broadcasting BitPay Bitcoin Best Bid in multiple currencies
    Zlib compression of transaction and block data. Compression ratio
on real data is about 1.25.

Not yet finished:

    Bitcoin data source should be compatible with the current encoder
    Proper bitcoin transaction prioritization based on the predicted
queue position.
    Serial traffic signing. The receiver needs to be sure that the
data has not been forged.
    Better error handling in receiver

Distribution contracts and legal questions
[Coverage map of Digita E multiplex. Remake of original.]

We have successfully finished negotiations for pilot stage (test
transmissions) in Finland using Digita's nationwide DVB-T network. The
pilot stage is executed during two months when the signal is
broadcasted 24 hours a day over densely populated areas of Finland.
Channel group E is selected for pilot stage. Click the map on the
right for more information. (Map source: Wikipedia) For detailled
coverage, see Digita's coverage map.

After a successful pilot stage our plan is to raise funds for
continuous (24/7) distribution in the whole country and possibly in
other parts of the world, too.