:: Re: [DNG] Runit init system discuss…
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Runit init system discussed at GoLUG, Wednesday, 3/1/2023, 7pm Eastern Standard
Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:
> Rainer Weikusat via Dng said on Wed, 01 Mar 2023 15:26:56 +0000
>>Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:

[...]

>>[**] That was in the olden times, when computers were large and
>>powerful. Puny laptops of today can't do this anymore and need a much
>>more efficient solution.
>
> I'm pretty sure my laptop has the kernel forks runit, which itself
> forks runsvdir and all necessary shellscripts and programs for a stable
> state. What more efficient solution is available?

That was a jab at his most lennarted poetterness who (among a host of
other snake oil salesmen tricks) also claimed that the cost of running
grep on laptops would be to high to be tolerable. And that's despite
System V was released in 1983 and targettet a host of platforms whose
technical capabilites were quite seriously puny compared to current
SoCs.

The original System V target platforms were

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JHuorRxcXVI/Xhd7oZ6WYBI/AAAAAAAAPb4/hiqDO9hls-gMVz6h3djqWrR6NoCS0WT3wCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/pdp-11-at-tnmoc-2.jpg
[DEC PDP-11]

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/LCM_-_DEC_VAX_11-780-5_-_01.jpg
[DEC VAX]

Clearly, these very large machines must have been much more capable of
running grep than the much smaller computers we're using today.

:-)