:: Re: [DNG] Runit init system discuss…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Runit init system discussed at GoLUG, Wednesday, 3/1/2023, 7pm Eastern Standard
Rainer Weikusat via Dng said on Wed, 01 Mar 2023 15:26:56 +0000

>Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> At the Wednesday, 3/1/2023 online GoLUG meeting, Steve Litt will
>> discuss the ins and outs of the runit init system. He'll cover the
>> benefits and drawbacks of runit, and how its features compare to
>> each of the several other Free Software init systems. And of
>> course, the definition of an init system and how it works will be
>> discussed.
>
>A definition of init could be useful here: That's the one program the
>kernel knows about[*]. After the kernel finished
>booting, it creates a process and executes the init program. [**]

Thanks Rainer!

I inserted your definition into my presentation and attributed it to
you. The presentation already had several other definitions, and yours
adds the fact that PID1 is the only program the kernel knows about.

>[**] That was in the olden times, when computers were large and
>powerful. Puny laptops of today can't do this anymore and need a much
>more efficient solution.

I'm pretty sure my laptop has the kernel forks runit, which itself
forks runsvdir and all necessary shellscripts and programs for a stable
state. What more efficient solution is available?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt