:: Re: [DNG] Tiger is being confusing.
Author: onefang
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Tiger is being confusing.
On 2023-02-08 16:07:24, onefang wrote:
> On 2023-02-07 18:09:23, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > While we're on the subject of Tiger, I run it here. Tiger routinely tell sme that postfix has its port open, but never mentions the open ports that are used by my web server, the ssh service, and monotone's netsync protocol.
> >
> > I wonder why.

Actually I think I saw that when I was searching for my issue. Might be
coz postfix isn't root when it opens it's socket, but the others are,
coz Tiger defaults to ignoring sockets opened by root. You can configure
it to ignorle sockets oopened by other users.

> I'm beginning to think the reason why is "Tiger is just plain crap".
>
> I've been running a bunch of similar things to see which ones actually
> work the best for me. Tiger keeps getting closer to "just purge it".

Another one just arrived, lots of lines like this, but for different
files from different packages -

NEW: --FAIL-- [lin005f] Installed file `/usr/bin/col' checksum differs from installed package 'bsdmainutils'.

Except bdsmainutils isn't actually installed, it's a dummy transitional
package that installs other packages that DO have that file.
/var/lib/dpkg/info has a .md5sums file for the dummy package and the one
it pulls in bsdextrautils. bdsmainutils.md5sums has a checksum that
doesn't agree with the actual file, and is an old file that might be left
over from an older install. bdsextrautils has one that matches the file.

The next package it complains about is coinor-libcbc3 which is actually
installed. Again no complaint from debsums, but there's an old
coinor-libcbc3.md5sums and a current coinor-libcbc3:amd64.md5sums.

debsums doesn't report all those files, but it does report files I
actually changed, though at least Tiger reports those as well.

So Tiger isn't properly figuring out what to check (checks no longer
installed packages that got replaced by a dummy transation package during
an update) and doesn't know to look in :amd64 files when both exist an
AMD64 system.

/me disables yet another Tiger check, wonder how many I'll end up
disabling before I just purge the thing.