:: Re: [DNG] A warning to EU mirror op…
Author: tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] A warning to EU mirror operators
On Tue, 7 Feb 2023 13:06:34 +0800
jeremy ardley via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> On 7/2/23 12:12, Antonio Rendina via Dng wrote:

> >> The point where you get off the plane but haven't yet passed customs
> >> leaves you in a legal limbo where many of the the countries laws and
> >> protections don't apply, or not as usual.

> > I think this is a bit exaggerated. Europe is a free country, I travel
> > all the time across Europe with 2 laptops and 2 smartphones, no one
> > ever searched my data, and in case, I would not allow it. The only
> > check that you have, is passing through the security if you fly, if
> > not and you are in Schengen Area
> > (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area) you can pass whatever
> > border you want with train, bus or car even on feet (not suggesting).
> > And also when in not Schengen, it's quite simple to pass the borders.
> >

> The key word is customs. In Schengen area you likely don't have formal
> customs clearance?
>
> Now try the same trick going into USA or Canada or even UK. Or arriving
> in the Schengen area on a flight from outside that area.

Hi,
I arrived many times from outside the Schengen area and besides
passport control on arrival, 90 % of times I went through the green lane of
customs and nobody cared, 9 % percent of times a bored customs'
officer looked at my baggage with X-rays, one time they wanted to take
a look at a pack of wasabi powder. In all that times nobody ever
cared for my phone or my laptop/netbook. Sometimes the laptops
were scanned with x-rays at the security check or I had to turn them on.

Ciao,
Tito