:: Re: [DNG] /usr merge
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Minimal install (was Re: /usr merge)
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr merge
Hendrik Boom said on Sun, 29 Jan 2023 09:06:25 -0500

>On Sun, Jan 29, 2023 at 04:31:46AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:

>Devuan should be able to have a minimal install that's only a simpe
>sever and a tiny OS.

It's been awhile since I installed Devuan, but isn't the network
install just kernel plus GNU utilities?

>And it should be able to hae a Steve-Litt-install, with all the stuff
>you want. Most users probablu will want this.

Truthfully, if you want a Steve Litt install you'll probably choose a
distro closer to the metal like Void, Slack, *too or OpenBSD. But I
think the point you're making is if the network install installs only
Kernel plus GNU utilities, each person can make the exact install they
want.

>User choice.
>

>> You know, if I really, truly hated the /usr merge I'd find a
>> workaround. There's nothing preventing you from copying the necessary
>> files to /bin and /lib, then having early boot run a shellscript to
>> do the mounts after the boot is almost finished. Or I'm sure there
>> are five more ways to work around it. And once I worked around it,
>> I'd document my workaround so everyone can do it. You've seen me
>> post links to such documentation.
>
>Why shouldn't that workaround be the base system?

Because it takes work, and I think it requires work with every Debian
update, although I'm not sure. I don't like /usr merge, but I've been
using a setup with /usr merge for several years now, and I haven't yet
been committed to a mental institution.

SteveT

Steve Litt