:: Re: [DNG] gcc-doc
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] gcc-doc
o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor@???> writes:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 9:57 AM Rainer Weikusat via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

[gcc documentation]

> Greetings
>
> I'm only beginning by odyssey into programming so I read lots and try to ask
> questions so that I understand at least 'something' better.
>
> When I did # man gcc or # gcc man I get - - -
> # man gcc
> root@memyself:/# gcc man
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find man: No such file or directory

That's the error you'll get when passing the string man to the linker
(/usr/bin/ld) and there's no file named man in the current
directory. But as that's a nonsense command, this probably doesn't
matter much.

Provided the gcc documentation is installed, the manpage (manual page)
can be displayed with

man gcc

and the full manual is available via

info gcc

> root@memyself:/# apt-cache show gcc-doc
> Package: gcc-doc
> Version: 5:12.1.0-1
> Installed-Size: 31

[...]

> This suggests that something 'is' installed.

It doesn't. This just shows that apt knows where to find it, ie, that
the non-free repository is enabled. If you want to check if a package is
installed, you can use dpkg -s <package name>, eg

[rw@doppelsaurus]~#dpkg -s gcc-doc
Package: gcc-doc
Section: contrib/doc
Installed-Size: 30
Maintainer: Debian GCC Maintainers <debian-gcc@???>
Architecture: amd64
Source: gcc-doc-defaults (5:21)
Version: 5:10.1.0-1
Replaces: g++ (<< 4:4.1.1-7), gcc (<< 4:4.1.1-7)
Depends: gcc-10-doc (>= 10.1.0-1~)
Breaks: g++ (<< 4:4.1.1-7), gcc (<< 4:4.1.1-7)
This is the dependency package that should install manual pages
and documentation for Debian default version of GNU compilers.
.
This documentation is available from non-free part of Debian archive.
Homepage: http://gcc.gnu.org/

or (I usually prefer that) dpkg -l | grep <package name>,

[rw@doppelsaurus]~#dpkg -l | grep gcc-doc
ii  gcc-doc                                5:10.1.0-1                             amd64        documentation for the GNU compilers (gcc, gobjc, g++)
ii  gcc-doc-base                           10.1.0-1                               all          several GNU manual pages