:: [DNG] About the /usr merge
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] About the /usr merge
Hi all,

I despise the whole idea of the /usr merge, but let me add a couple
data points:

1) [root@mydesk sv]# du -sh /usr
   38G     /usr
   [root@mydesk sv]#

In other words, the entirety of /usr on my very loaded Void Linux
Daily Driver Desktop (DDD) takes a tiny shred of a modern SSD/NVMe,
and putting it all on the root SSD/NVMe would run faster than on a
mounted spinning rust partition.

Separate /usr was vital back in the days of small disks, but those
days are long gone.

2) My Void Linux has the /usr merge and in practice it's caused me no
trouble. Of course, my /usr is on the root NVMe for speed.

And with my /usr, /bin, /sbin, /lib on the root partition, I'm pretty
sure I could even compile Ext4 drivers into my kernel and boot without
an initramfs.

Yes, I despise the new poettering/freedesktop/redhat order for
foreclosing on my options, but they've done *a lot* worse to us than
the /usr merge.

SteveT

Steve Litt