:: Re: [DNG] Chimaera install problem
Author: Fred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Chimaera install problem
On 1/6/23 14:36, Ralph Ronnquist wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2023 at 12:15:50PM -0700, Fred wrote:
>> Hi Ralph,
>>
>> I went back to the netinstall iso since that is what you asked me to verify
>> this morning.
>>
>> I used the plain install method.
>>
>> blkid shows:
>> sda1,2,3 partitioned from a previous install attempt.
>> sdb type iso9660 which is the sd/usb with the netinstall image
>> sdc1 type iso9660
>> sdc2 type vfat
>>
>> Yesterday with the server install attempt I had another sd/usb with the CD3
>> iso. That is still plugged in and I guess is the sdc.
>>
>> df -h
>> tmpfs     mounted on /run
>> devtmpfs  mounted on /dev
>> /dev/sdc1 mounted on /cdrom

>> Yesterday with the server, advanced/expert install method the cdrom was not
>> mounted. The mini-pc does not have an actual cdrom drive only a bunch of
>> usb ports.
>
> The mount should happen when you run the "Detect and mount
> installation" step.
>
> I.e., the plain "Install" method would have run typically these steps:
>     Choose language
>     Configure keyboard
>     Select keyboard layout
>     Detect and mount installation media
>     Load installer components from installation media
>     Detect network hardware (*)
>     Configure the network (*)
>     Detect disks
>     Partition disks
> and there be in waiting for the partitioning choice.

> You need to do the same on the "Expert install" method although you
> may of course skip the two network steps that I marked with (*) if you
> want to install without network (and time sync).
>
>> The .disk directory does not exist. Do you want me to add it and the info
>> file?
>
> No, you can't add the file; it is /cdrom/.disk/info
>
> If the media is available as /dev/sdc1 but doesn't get mounted, then
> you may need to mount it yourself:
> # mount -t iso9660 /dev/sdc1 /cdrom
>
> After that you may verify that the file is there:
> # cat /cdrom/.disk/info
>
> and then continue installation via ctrl-alt-f1
>
> Ralph.

Hi Ralph,
I changed to the netinstall iso this morning since that is what you
asked me to verify. Why do we have the cdrom involved?

Earlier, I provided the results of blkid which showed /dev/sdc1 as type
iso9660 and /dev/sdc2 as vfat and the df -h showed /dev/sdc1 mounted on
/cdrom.

ls /cdrom returns nothing.

mount -t iso9660 /dev/sdc1 /cdrom returns failed, no such file or directory.

I put the cd3 iso on a new Sandisk Cruzer I bought yesterday and I can
mount it on this computer and see the files are there. I can mount the
sd/usb card I was using yesterday on this computer and the files are there.

I don't know what to do. Shouldn't everything needed for the net
install be on the sd/usb card with the installer?

Best regards,
Fred