:: Re: [DNG] Chimaera install problem
Author: Ralph Ronnquist
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Chimaera install problem
On Fri, Jan 06, 2023 at 12:15:50PM -0700, Fred wrote:
> Hi Ralph,
>
> I went back to the netinstall iso since that is what you asked me to verify
> this morning.
>
> I used the plain install method.
>
> blkid shows:
> sda1,2,3 partitioned from a previous install attempt.
> sdb type iso9660 which is the sd/usb with the netinstall image
> sdc1 type iso9660
> sdc2 type vfat
>
> Yesterday with the server install attempt I had another sd/usb with the CD3
> iso. That is still plugged in and I guess is the sdc.
>
> df -h
> tmpfs     mounted on /run
> devtmpfs  mounted on /dev
> /dev/sdc1 mounted on /cdrom

> Yesterday with the server, advanced/expert install method the cdrom was not
> mounted. The mini-pc does not have an actual cdrom drive only a bunch of
> usb ports.

The mount should happen when you run the "Detect and mount
installation" step.

I.e., the plain "Install" method would have run typically these steps:
Choose language
Configure keyboard
Select keyboard layout
Detect and mount installation media
Load installer components from installation media
Detect network hardware (*)
Configure the network (*)
Detect disks
Partition disks
and there be in waiting for the partitioning choice.

You need to do the same on the "Expert install" method although you
may of course skip the two network steps that I marked with (*) if you
want to install without network (and time sync).

> The .disk directory does not exist. Do you want me to add it and the info
> file?

No, you can't add the file; it is /cdrom/.disk/info

If the media is available as /dev/sdc1 but doesn't get mounted, then
you may need to mount it yourself:
# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sdc1 /cdrom

After that you may verify that the file is there:
# cat /cdrom/.disk/info

and then continue installation via ctrl-alt-f1

Ralph.