:: Re: [DNG] legacy boot Chimaera?
Author: Fred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] legacy boot Chimaera?
On 1/4/23 07:17, Fred wrote:
> On 1/4/23 01:19, Antonio Rendina via Dng wrote:
>> You may need to disable fast boot as well and use legacy boot (if you
>> didn't do it so far).
>> Looks to me that it didn't recognize the USB key as a boot key, or it
>> tried to boot from hard drive without checking the usb key. Try the
>> usb key on another computer, just to be sure that the key is working
>> well.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Antonio
> Fast boot was disabled by default.
> I agree completely with your observation.
> I am willing to try the usb stick on another computer but how do I exit
> the installer if it comes up without changing anything on the computer?
>
> I mounted a CD I used to install Beowulf on another computer and found
> it had lots of files including one called boot versus the two .efi files
> I found on the usb stick.
>
> I am going to try again using the netinstall iso.
> Best regards,
> Fred

>>> Yes, I have been all through the bios.  I checked the boot order
>>> which is:
>>> CD (which the pc doesn't have)
>>> USB
>>> Network  (which I removed)
>>>
>>> There is another page that also lists the internal hard drive.
>>>
>>> The boot options are: Legacy and Secure Boot which appears to be a
>>> Windows thing.  There is a tab for UEFI drivers.  If that is selected
>>> it changes to a page that says I will be directed to a page for a
>>> third party rom also accessible  with F3.  If that is selected it
>>> changes to a page with only the option: EXIT which reboots the pc.  I
>>> assume the rom is not installed.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Fred

I downloaded the netinstall iso and put it on the usb stick. I mounted
the stick and found it has the same type of files as before.

Device     Boot Start    End Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdb1  *        0 761855  761856  372M  0 Empty
/dev/sdb2        4040   5511    1472  736K ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

These are on /dev/sdb2
/efi/bootbootia32.efi
/efi/boot/bootx64.efi

It appears the iso files do not now legacy boot. Maybe I have to
install an early version of Devuan and upgrade. But would the boot
method stay legacy with the upgrade?
Best regards,
Fred