:: Re: [DNG] legacy boot Chimaera?
Author: Fred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] legacy boot Chimaera?
On 1/3/23 15:54, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 January 2023 at 22:28:41, Fred wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I bought a "refurbished" HP EliteDesk 800 G2 mini-pc with the intention
>> of running Chimaera on it. However, it will only legacy boot and the
>> .iso install files for Chimaera on the USB stick are .efi. Is all hope
>> lost or is there a work around?
>
> Sorry, but I don't understand the problem.
>
> I have at least four machines here which have no concept of UEFI - they boot
> using BIOS only, and yet they (start and) run Chimaera quite happily.
>
> So, when you attempt to install Chimaera on this EliteDesk machine, what
> exactly is the problem you run into?
>

> Antony.

The pc sees the usb stick as it turns on the led and at times makes it
flash. However, what it does is snoop around the local network until it
finds the gateway then it downloads Windows 10 and starts setup for
that. If I don't have the Ethernet cable attached it eventually brings
up a screen with several remote servers and allows one to be selected
but it won't continue without the network.

I used dd to write this file:

devuan_chimaera_4.0.0_amd64_server.iso

to the usb stick. I can mount it and see the files:

There is: /efi/boot/bootia32.efi
and:      /efi/boot/bootx64.efi

What can I check now?

Best regards,