:: Re: [devuan-dev] Status of the SLiM…
Author: Rob Pearce
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Status of the SLiM login manager project
On 28/12/2022 19:36, Boian Bonev wrote:
> Got some comments from Mark on IRC:
>
> - d/p/support-consolekit-runtime-detection.patch - is that good to go
> upstream? there is nothing packaging specific in it

It's a slightly odd patch that I'm not entirely convinced by. The
upstream now has a command line option to disable CK (if built with it)
which wasn't there when that patch was created.
> - PAM vs consolekit is best detected runtime instead of compile time

Again, I'm a little puzzled by the "PAM vs CK" thing. I don't see them
as alternates - PAM deals with authentication, CK deals with sessions.
The alternative to PAM is directly reading the /etc/passwd files. The
alternative to CK is elogind or similar. It's certainly possible to use
both PAM and CK.
> - there is a sprintf in Ck.cpp - although it is safe, it is better to
> convert to snprintf, to silence automated checkers and also protect
> from problems in the future (in case something changes and makes it
> unsafe - such a thing is easy to go unnoticed)

Bizarrely there was a patch in Gentoo to explicitly make that one a
sprintf, not snprintf, labelled as being for ARM compatibility. I don't
know the full details there.

>> (I have become aware of a couple of bugs but the only new one doesn't
>> affect Devuan so I'll fix them upstream for V1.4.0)
> When that gets released, you can do another build - I see no point in
> delaying the current one, waiting for next release.

Absolutely agree.

> What about proposing these changes in Debian's slim package? Did you
> talk to the maintainer of slim? It is a big change to switch to a fork
> but on the other hand having an unmaintained upstream is an even bigger
> problem...

The Debian package seems to be maintained by Nobuhiro Iwamatsu, who was
also the previous upstream maintainer. I tried contacting him before I
created the fork project but got no response. I'll try again from this
different perspective.

Cheers,

Rob

--