:: Re: [DNG] /lib/modules on separate …
Author: Marc Shapiro
To: dng
New-Topics: Re: [DNG] /lib/modules on separate partition? (MOSTLY SOLVED)
Subject: Re: [DNG] /lib/modules on separate partition?

On 11/20/22 21:01, Steve Litt wrote:
> Marc Shapiro via Dng said on Sun, 20 Nov 2022 19:14:15 -0800
>
>> On 11/20/22 17:48, Gregory Nowak wrote:

>>> So almost certainly, the modules are being loaded and the root fs is
>>> being mounted in the initrd, before /etc/fstab gets read. Including
>>> all the modules in the initrd maybe your only option then.
>>>
>>> Greg
>> I found another way, which works on Debian Stretch, but not on Devuan
>> Beowulf:
>>
>> I got the list of modules, as Tito suggested, but instead of updating
>> the initrd, I put the list of modules into /etc/modules. In Stretch,
>> this causes them to load after /lib/modules is mounted and everything
>> works as it should.  For some reason, though, it does not work for
>> Beowulf.
> That's an excellent idea. It might be easy to find out why it doesn't
> work with Devuan, and then either the distro fixes it or you provide
> some sort of solution or workaround.
>
> Also, it seems to me that you could provide, either as a sysvinit start
> script or an addition to the runit stage 1 script, a loop that modprobes
> everything in /etc/modules.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't mess with an initrd if you paid me. It's a black
> box very hard to understand or troubleshoot. Your solution seems a
> whole lot better.
>
> SteveT

Yeah, messing with the initrd is just something I don't think I want to
do.  If you have any ideas as to why putting the module name is
/etc/modules doesn't work, or how to figure it out, I would continue
playing around with that, but, otherwise, I think I'm done.

Marc