:: Re: [DNG] /lib/modules on separate …
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /lib/modules on separate partition?
Marc Shapiro via Dng said on Sun, 20 Nov 2022 19:14:15 -0800

>On 11/20/22 17:48, Gregory Nowak wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 03:44:46PM -0800, Marc Shapiro via Dng
>> wrote:

>>> That was the first thing that I tried, since it would be the
>>> easiest and not required any additional steps when a new kernel is
>>> installed. Unfortunately, /lib/modules still mounts along with all
>>> the rest of my partitions, after the modules are loaded.
>> So almost certainly, the modules are being loaded and the root fs is
>> being mounted in the initrd, before /etc/fstab gets read. Including
>> all the modules in the initrd maybe your only option then.
>>
>> Greg
>
>I found another way, which works on Debian Stretch, but not on Devuan
>Beowulf:
>
>I got the list of modules, as Tito suggested, but instead of updating
>the initrd, I put the list of modules into /etc/modules. In Stretch,
>this causes them to load after /lib/modules is mounted and everything
>works as it should.  For some reason, though, it does not work for
>Beowulf.

That's an excellent idea. It might be easy to find out why it doesn't
work with Devuan, and then either the distro fixes it or you provide
some sort of solution or workaround.

Also, it seems to me that you could provide, either as a sysvinit start
script or an addition to the runit stage 1 script, a loop that modprobes
everything in /etc/modules.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with an initrd if you paid me. It's a black
box very hard to understand or troubleshoot. Your solution seems a
whole lot better.

SteveT

Steve Litt