:: Re: [DNG] linux ssd problem
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] linux ssd problem
Peter Duffy said on Fri, 18 Nov 2022 15:25:40 +0000

>I recently bought a couple of Samsung 1T EVO 970 SSDs to do some work:
>basically I need to simulate the loading of a fairly big mysql database
>(>80G). I'm currently hitting a very weird problem.
>
>The mysql is percona 5.7. I attach the disk via USB3, partition it,
>create an ext4 fs on one of the partitions, mount it, create a
>directory on it, configure mysql to use it as the datadir, and then
>initialise it for mysql use. All good so far. I then start the mysql
>dataload, and it's progressing happily.
>
>Then the mysql server bombs out, and messages like the following appear
>in the dmesg output:

[snip hard to read error message]

>I'm trying to decide whether I'm just dealing with a borked SSD (it
>came from Amazon: yeah, I know

I'm no bezos lover, but you tested the drive and it tested OK. Sounds
to me like a plain old MySQL error. I'm not sure how the cryptic error
message points an accusing finger at your desk.

If for some reason you suspect gremlins outside of MySQL and its config
files, tonight as you go to sleep why not run a memtest86 on your ram.
This should be done every couple months anyway, and it will (hopefully)
rule out faulty ram locations.

SteveT

Steve Litt