:: Re: [DNG] ..so, Orson Welles and A…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..so, Orson Welles and Aldous Huxley predicted Microsoft & Lennart Poettering's "Brave New Trusted Boot World"? :oD [OT]
Adrian Zaugg said on Mon, 07 Nov 2022 03:20:02 +0100

>In der Nachricht vom Monday, 7 November 2022 02:40:50 CET schrieb
>Steve Litt:
>> >What do you think about these?
>> >
>> >https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/
>>
>> Same problem, namely overpriced for the features. Compare the
>> $1500.00
>> https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en/TUXEDO-InfinityBook-Pro-16-Mk1-Gen7.tuxed
>> o to the $850.00
>> https://www.costco.com/dell-inspiron-15.6%22-touchscreen-laptop---11th-gen-i
>> ntel-core-i7-1165g7---1080p---windows-11%2c-black.product.100836060.html
>>

>Please do the comparison right: the price of the tuxedo is including
>19% tax, which you do not have to pay if you don't live in Germany
>(you need to add your country's import tax).

OK, that changes things. I actually thought I had to pay 19% in
addition to the $1500, although I didn't include that 19% in my
calculations. So if I don't pay the 19%, my cost goes down to $1260.00
USD, which is a 48% premium over the Costco computer. This is much
better than System76 or Penguin Computing, but it's still a whopper of
a premium.

> The screen of the tuxedo
>is way better and the laptop is 250g lighter,

That's a half a pound, which isn't a concern to me.

> newer processor, asf.

They're both Turbo max 4.7GHz, I couldn't find the normal clock speed
for either one. The Tuxedo has more onboard cache and more cores and
threads. I already said the Tuxedo has a better microprocessor. The
Costco has some other advantages over the Tuxedo.

>These machines are too different to state Tuxedo is overpriced. Please
>find machines with the same specs and compare the price of those.

That's pretty hard to do if you look into exact processors, etc. I
think they're close enough for comparison. Like I've said before, if
the price difference were 10% or 20% I'd have no problem buying the
Tuxedo, but 48%, no.

>You'll find the difference is much less than you try to make us think.

I'll say this: Tuxedo is a much better buy than things like System76
and Penguin Computing, which are laughably overpriced. I could make a
case for buying the Tuxedo.

>On the other hand if you do not want to support companies that care
>about Linux, switching off Intel ME, asf. with a few extra dollars,
>the world will never change.

Are you sure Tuxedo switches off the Intel ME? If so, that would be a
MAJOR selling point. Wikipedia says, at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine the following:

"However, the ME itself is built into all Intel
chipsets since 2008, not only those with AMT. While AMT can be
unprovisioned by the owner, there is no official, documented way to
disable the ME.'

If the Tuxedo computer truly switches off the Intel ME, that would
give the advantage to the Tuxedo, in my opinion.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Summer 2022 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times