:: Re: [DNG] setting system time
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] setting system time
On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 05:37:53PM -0700, Fred wrote:
> On 10/19/22 13:46, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> > Greetings
> >
> > I have pointed duckduckgo at Devuan + setting system time and +
> > setting hardware clock and am not finding any joy with the responses.
> >
> > How does one set the hardware clock so that it synchronizes with ntp?
> >
> > TIA
>
> Hi,
>
> There is a utility called hwclock that should do that. It may be installed
> by default as I have it under chimaera but I don't recall intentionally
> installing it.

Yes.

It syncs the hardware clock with the system clock. The hwclock man page says:

       hwclock is an administration tool for the time clocks.  It can: display
       the Hardware Clock time; set the Hardware Clock to  a  specified  time;
       set the Hardware Clock from the System Clock; set the System Clock from
       the Hardware Clock; compensate for Hardware Clock  drift;  correct  the
       System  Clock  timescale; set the kernel's timezone, NTP timescale, and
       epoch (Alpha only); and predict future Hardware Clock values  based  on
       its drift rate.

It's worth reading the entire man page -- it is extensive,
and gives a clear understanding of just how complicated time management
is -- even without interfacing with ntp!

-- hendrik