:: Re: [devuan-dev] Country codes.
Author: onefang
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Country codes.
On 2022-10-14 09:15:12, Boian Bonev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2022-10-14 at 10:43 +1000, onefang wrote:
> > >
> ..cut..
> > >
> > > In this way if somecode.deb.devuan.org becomes a CNAME of
> > > xx.deb.devuan.org, then all the requests will be redirected by
> > > xx.deb.devuan.org to deb.devuan.org. As a result the members of
> > > deb.devuan.org should not add support for all the country codes.
> >
> > xx.deb.devuan.org seems a little over complicated, but I'll leave the
> > actual DNS shenanigans in the hands of those that are already doing
> > it.
>
> Nothing complicated with that, it is a very simple redirect...
>
> I wasn't sure if the particular name choice was good enough, but it is
> already there. BTW that is easy to change, in case someone objects to
> xx

Well maybe three letters would be better, to avoid collisions with any
real CC code that might be made in the future.

I'm reminded of Second Life creating it's own timezone and country code
within it's infrastructure and client. I'll bet Sierra Leon was not
impressed.

> ..cut..

> > > That full automation would be nice. :)
> >
> > It's coming.  Sooner or later.  This is why I wrote this lengthy
> > email, to sort out the details.
>
> That is great news :)
>
> ..cut..
> > >
> > > I can't say which way is better. Most probably it would be best you
> > > decide on some way and if it needs changing then it can be
> > > considered
> > > again?
> >
> > I'm thinking I'll go ahead with the pkgmaster apt-panopticon, coz no
> > messing about with writing voting and crypto code.
> >
> > Though there is the issue of apt-panopticon keeping historical data
> > for the graphs and such.  I do have to log onto borta and veritas
> > every now and then to remove the oldest histories, and pkgmaster
> > doesn't have much free disk space.  So I'll add an option to only
> > keep X days of historical data.
>
> Just wondering what is the difference with the current install on
> veritas? It is already there, the history data is there. Maybe I am
> missing something, but I see no benefit in checking from pkgmaster
> itself. Why not use veritas?

The difference is that there's already infrastructure in place on
pkgmaster for me to edit the mirrors list master file, which then is
automatically converted to DNS-RR entries by an hourly cron job. So
apt-panopticon on pkgmaster can just edit that master file automatically,
then run the same script the cron job does to update DNS-RR.

Then the only complication is some file locking so apt-panopticon and I
don't try to edit that file at once. Though better would be to modify
the DNS-RR script to use two files as input. In which case,
apt-panopticon is already outputting a suitable file. I at least got
that bit written long ago. DNS-RR_good.txt in the results folder, which
is just a list of IPs that passed the tests.

> > > If you need help with installing stuff, let me know :)
> >
> > I am an experienced professional Linux sysadmin, and I have sudo on
> > pkgmaster, so no need for help.  B-)
>
> I know :)
>
> What about running one more instance of apt-panopticon?
> I can prepare a VM in the same place where ns5.devuan.dev is.

Sure. As we are currently discussing in IRC. That is in Mathura, India
Boian just told me

I'm still hoping someone volunteers to put one in one of the Americas.

Anyway, time for me to switch to weekend mode, so I'll get back to this
next week. My weekend mode goes from late Friday to Tuesday morning,
Aussie time. Coz I'm supposed to be semi retired. B-)