:: Re: [devuan-dev] Country codes.
Author: Boian Bonev
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Country codes.
Hi,

On Fri, 2022-10-14 at 10:43 +1000, onefang wrote:

..cut..

> > In this way if somecode.deb.devuan.org becomes a CNAME of
> > xx.deb.devuan.org, then all the requests will be redirected by
> > xx.deb.devuan.org to deb.devuan.org. As a result the members of
> > deb.devuan.org should not add support for all the country codes.
>
> xx.deb.devuan.org seems a little over complicated, but I'll leave the
> actual DNS shenanigans in the hands of those that are already doing
> it.

Nothing complicated with that, it is a very simple redirect...

I wasn't sure if the particular name choice was good enough, but it is
already there. BTW that is easy to change, in case someone objects to
xx

..cut..

> > > Back in the day there was this TODO item to have apt-panopticon
> > > driving
> > > DNS-RR.  https://sledjhamr.org/mantisbt/view.php?id=142 where you
> > > can
> > > see
> > > that I have been really slack about doing that.  lol
> >
> > That full automation would be nice. :)
>
> It's coming.  Sooner or later.  This is why I wrote this lengthy
> email, to sort out the details.

That is great news :)

..cut..

> > I can't say which way is better. Most probably it would be best you
> > decide on some way and if it needs changing then it can be
> > considered
> > again?
>
> I'm thinking I'll go ahead with the pkgmaster apt-panopticon, coz no
> messing about with writing voting and crypto code.
>
> Though there is the issue of apt-panopticon keeping historical data
> for the graphs and such.  I do have to log onto borta and veritas
> every now and then to remove the oldest histories, and pkgmaster
> doesn't have much free disk space.  So I'll add an option to only
> keep X days of historical data.

Just wondering what is the difference with the current install on
veritas? It is already there, the history data is there. Maybe I am
missing something, but I see no benefit in checking from pkgmaster
itself. Why not use veritas?

> > If you need help with installing stuff, let me know :)
>
> I am an experienced professional Linux sysadmin, and I have sudo on
> pkgmaster, so no need for help.  B-)

I know :)

What about running one more instance of apt-panopticon?
I can prepare a VM in the same place where ns5.devuan.dev is.

With best regards,
b.