:: Re: [DNG] Automated systemd-initscr…
Author: declassed art
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Automated systemd-initscripts/cronjobs conversion. Possible?
> 212 system and 56 user units? Holy Hannah!!! Are all those unit files actually being
> used?

Well, these numbers are rather about maintainability of a typical
desktop distro, assuming one unit file belongs to one package. Not
necessarily they are all enabled. I bet you can find the similar
number of units in systemd leftovers on a typical Devuan installation.
I currently don't have any to check.

> My 26 daemons are:
>
> agetty-tty1  agetty-tty4  cupsd
> dcron     lxd     nmbd
> rsyncd        sshd       unbound
> agetty-tty2  agetty-tty5  daemonexample
> dovecot   mysqld  ntpd
> smbd          supervise  xinetd
> agetty-tty3  agetty-tty6  daemontools
> iptables  nginx   postgresql
> socklog-unix  udevd

oh, 26 on my linuxmint desktop is too much for me. Here's my list and
I have no idea what some of them are for, really. I'd kill them. I
rarely need wpasuppicant, just forgot to disable, but I have to run
smartd with --interval=30 to avoid the shitty controller to fall
asleep. Plus, systemd-journald is an unavoidable ballast, actually
disabled in the configuration in favor of rsyslogd.

systemd-udevd
rpcbind
acpid
cron
gpm
irqbalance
smartd
systemd-logind
thermald
wpa_supplicant
ntpd
rtkit-daemon
polkitd
upowerd
systemd-journald
rsyslogd

However, I run all the rest, such as nginx, bind, smbd/nmbd,
opensmtpd, and dovecot, and more, main and backup, primary and
secondary in lxc containers on separate ARM machines. Anyway, the
number of services is countable with one hand's fingers. But at the
same time, the number of units on one of my "servers" is 157 (just
checked). I'm using Armbian.

> This is just one example of how systemd complexifies everything.

Absolutely agree.

> As far as the 17 timers, just do them manually in your cron system. I'm sure you can
> get the necessary help on this list.

Thanks, but I'd just chat, occasionally, if no one is against that.

Axy.