:: Re: [DNG] Automated systemd-initscr…
Author: Steve Litt
To: declassed art, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Automated systemd-initscripts/cronjobs conversion. Possible?
On Mon, 2022-09-26 at 11:20 +0100, declassed art via Dng wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> has anyone had some thoughts on automatically adapting systemd units
> and timers from debian packages to devuan-friendly init scripts and
> cron jobs? I mean automatically repackage deb files and strip all
> those systemd leftovers.

I'm going to speak just for the runit init system...

Give me a full time month and I could write a unit file to runit run script
converter, but I wouldn't do it because runit run scripts are so simple to make.
Many are already available at http://smarden.org/runit/runscripts.html . If everyone
wants, I could also make a simple script to output every run script on my runit
equipped Void Linux computer, if everyone takes them in the spirit in which they're
given and understands they might not be exactly correct.

> I don't think too many packages need attention.
> For example, my systemd-based desktop has 212 system and 56 user units
> and 17 timers.

212 system and 56 user units? Holy Hannah!!! Are all those unit files actually being
used? Check this out:

[root@mydesk sv]# cd /var/service
[root@mydesk service]# ls

[root@mydesk service]# ls -ldF * | wc -l
26
[root@mydesk service]#

My 26 daemons are:

agetty-tty1  agetty-tty4  cupsd
dcron     lxd     nmbd
rsyncd        sshd       unbound
agetty-tty2  agetty-tty5  daemonexample
dovecot   mysqld  ntpd
smbd          supervise  xinetd
agetty-tty3  agetty-tty6  daemontools
iptables  nginx   postgresql
socklog-unix  udevd

This is just one example of how systemd complexifies everything.

As far as the 17 timers, just do them manually in your cron system. I'm sure you can
get the necessary help on this list.

SteveT