:: [DNG] Be prepared for the fall of s…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
CC: supervision
Subject: [DNG] Be prepared for the fall of systemd
Hi all,

As I said in a previous message, I see sentiment very slowly turning against
systemd. If systemd keeps losing popularity, I have no doubt the corporate
carpetbaggers will try to force an even worse atrocity on us, so we need to be ready
this time and not have the argument centered on a false choice.

I see two init systems ready to take the baton and run with it:

* Runit
* S6

Runit is the simplest init system other than /bin/bash or an rc script. It's
maintained by the Void Linux project, so hit hard at the FUDdists who claim runit is
unmaintained.

S6 is advancing full speed to a complete solution, implementing all the best
features of systemd, but these features are voluntary and separable. If you want top
quality, choice and performance, and are willing to accept a little more complexity
(but sane complexity), S6 plus its service manager is the way to go. In my opinion,
S6 plus its service manager offers more than OpenRC, and IMHO it's easier to
configure/manage.

If and when systemd falls, we need to be ready, so we can get the right init system,
instead yet another corporate sponsored Rube Goldberg Machine.

SteveT