:: Re: [devuan-dev] advice on replacin…
Author: Joril
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] advice on replacing kernel on the install media?
On 24/06/22 14:31, Joril wrote:

> what a coincidence, I'm trying to build a Beowulf installer using a
> Chimaera kernel :D (I have to install Beowulf on a HP laptop that
> doesn't allow disabling "Rapid Storage Technology"...)
> I've not managed to do it yet, but I think the starting point is
> https://git.devuan.org/devuan/installer-iso
>
> I'll report back if I find out more details

Sadly my effort to build a Beowulf installer ISO using a Chimaera (or
Beowulf-backported) kernel didn't go well, I'm not skilled enough with
makefiles to find out what's going wrong :(

Anyway I've found another way to install Beowulf on the HP laptop: PXE.
I've built a "franken-netboot", starting with the Beowulf netboot and
replacing bits from the Chimaera ISO, namely:
- the "linux" (kernel) file
- rebuilding "initrd.gz" replacing its lib/modules directory with the
one from the ISO

With this setup I could install Beowulf on the laptop, keeping in mind
that as last install step you have to manually install a backported
kernel, so that the machine can boot on its own.

Hope this helps someone facing a similar issue!

Bye!