:: Re: [DNG] Lennart now working for M…
Author: Peter Duffy
To: dng
New-Topics: Re: [DNG] *** SPAM *** Re: Lennart now working for Microsoft
Subject: Re: [DNG] Lennart now working for Microsoft
On Wed, 2022-07-13 at 15:49 -0500, hal wrote:
> On July 13, 2022 3:31:37 PM CDT, Syeed Ali <syeedali@???>
> wrote:
> :: Microsoft has a great interest in embracing Linux via WSL with the
> :: intent to obsolete the need to dual boot.  With many critical
> :: distributions and software requiring systemd, it only makes sense
> :: make sure that WSL has complete support; indeed better support
> than on
> :: Linux.  Combined Windows and WSL can thereby be extended nicely in
> ways
> :: pure Linux cannot.
> ::
> :: _______________________________________________
> :: Dng mailing list
> :: Dng@???
>
> Microsoft has only an interest in not having any competition. from
> DOS, to  Internet Explore vs. Netscape, to SCO Linux. Every few years
> they try again. this is all just another example.

I'm sure that is correct. M$ were obviously behind the SCO thing. Thank
heavens for groklaw - without Pamela Jones, SCO's legal action might
have succeeded, and we might now be paying them for linux licences (or
using something else).

I do find it interesting that Red Hat haven't commented on Poettering's
departure as yet (or at least, I haven't seen any comment from them so
far). M$ and IBM haven't always been rivals - worth remembering that
OS/2 was originally a joint venture. Then they decided to go their
separate ways and fork the OS/2 project: IBM carried on developing
OS/2; M$ hacked their version into Windows 95 (remember they took over
the front page of the Times to advertise the launch of it?). (Shame
that OS/2 vanished off the radar. I used it daily for a number of
years: it was infinitely better than windows.)

Obviously something's going on. I guess time will tell what it is. For
now, it at least seems extremely good news that systemd is now firmly
tarred with the M$ brush.