:: Re: [DNG] New build + extras
Author: Marjorie Roome
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] New build + extras
Hi,

On Mon, 2022-05-30 at 17:03 -0500, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I am investing in a new system.
> (Ryzen 7 5800X + Ryzen 570 gpu)
>
> The old system has a raid 10 array that I would like to put into the
> new system.
>
> The new system is going to add 2 M2 drives that I want to set up as
> raid 1
> and this is for use for /EFI, /boot, /, /var, /usr and swap.
> There are 2 2.5" SDDs that are going to be set up as raid 1 for
> /home.
> Want to be running Devuan daedalus.
>
> The idea is to transfer the previously used drives from the old
> system
> into the new system.
>
> The question:
> is it better to load the system and then add the hard drives
>
> or
>
> do I move the drives into the system and then install the system with
> the drives at the same time.
>
> (2 step process or 1 step process.)

I recently updated my CPU to AMD5600G from a 10 year old Phenom II 910
x4.This required a new AM4 B550 motherboard and DDR4 RAM.

Initially I just installed these in my existing case, connected up the
old SATA drives (2 x 500 SSD GB RAID1 and 2 x 1TB HDD RAID1+LSB) and it
booted up fine.

Worth checking that your fstab and grub identifies your drives/RAID by
UUID or LABEL, rather than /sdX and /MDx, as these can change order
when connected to different SATA ports.

--
Marjorie