:: Re: [DNG] mouse driver question
Author: karl
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] mouse driver question
Fred:
> On 5/12/22 15:23, Florian Zieboll via Dng wrote:
> > On May 12, 2022 9:44:39 PM GMT+02:00, Fred <fred@???> wrote:
> >> I don't use a DE, just openbox and xterm. The regular scroll wheel
> >> mouse works correctly in both xev and the application. Button 2 is
> >> identified as 2 so I contend it has to have something to do with
> >> program(s) run to use the serial mouse.
> >>
> >> xmodmap -pp shows the buttons mapped correctly with both mice.
> >>
> >> The Xorg.log file has entries for USB Optical Mouse, Mouse Systems
> >> mouse and Sun mouse (when I gave that protocol to inputattach and
> >> gpm) but nothing about mouse buttons.

Then I'm more or less at loss what to do, save make an adapter for my
sun mouse try it at home.

> > There's just one question itching me for a
> > little while now: Is it possible, that this
> > old mouse simply has some physical
> > issue, triggered by using button 2?
> >
> > And if so, what would be the best way to
> > prove it?

He has already proven it.

> No, the mouse is fine. I have an application that I have used for 20
> years running on Solaris 2.6. The Sun is retired but I still need the
> application. I was able to get it to compile and run happily on Devuan
> Beowulf and it works fine with the standard pc scroll wheel mouse. The
> program makes extensive use of the middle button which is a pain with
> the pc mouse. I would like to continue using the Sun three button mouse
> which works except the middle button. I have studied the output of the
> mouse with an oscilloscope and software and it is working exactly as a
> Mouse Systems mouse. There is some defugalty in getting the middle
> button information into user programs. Maybe a bug somewhere?

There have been some changes over the years, e.g. xlib replaced by xcb.

This might not be related, but this little test program didn't work (segfault)
with devuan/debian libXt but it workes fine in gentoo:
http://aspodata.se/computing/librnd_motif/Shell_Size_Constraint/
it also workes fine in debian woody and when rebuilding libXt in previous
devuan version, so it might be something shady in current devuan/debian libxt.

If this is really important to you, you could try to
. rebuild libxt
. install another distro, eg. gentoo
. try an older version of debian, e.g. potato, woody or sarge

Regards,
/Karl Hammar