:: Re: [DNG] mouse driver question
Author: Fred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] mouse driver question
On 5/12/22 15:23, Florian Zieboll via Dng wrote:

> On May 12, 2022 9:44:39 PM GMT+02:00, Fred <fred@???> wrote:
>
>> Hi Karl,
>> I don't use a DE, just openbox and xterm. The regular scroll wheel mouse works correctly in both xev and the application. Button 2 is identified as 2 so I contend it has to have something to do with program(s) run to use the serial mouse.
>>
>> xmodmap -pp shows the buttons mapped correctly with both mice.
>>
>> The Xorg.log file has entries for USB Optical Mouse, Mouse Systems mouse and Sun mouse (when I gave that protocol to inputattach and gpm) but nothing about mouse buttons.
>> Best regards,
>> Fred
>

> A very interesting thread, never have I
> been so close to hardware!
>
> There's just one question itching me for a
> little while now: Is it possible, that this
> old mouse simply has some physical
> issue, triggered by using button 2?
>
> And if so, what would be the best way to
> prove it?
>
> libre Grüße,
> Florian

Hi Florian,
No, the mouse is fine. I have an application that I have used for 20
years running on Solaris 2.6. The Sun is retired but I still need the
application. I was able to get it to compile and run happily on Devuan
Beowulf and it works fine with the standard pc scroll wheel mouse. The
program makes extensive use of the middle button which is a pain with
the pc mouse. I would like to continue using the Sun three button mouse
which works except the middle button. I have studied the output of the
mouse with an oscilloscope and software and it is working exactly as a
Mouse Systems mouse. There is some defugalty in getting the middle
button information into user programs. Maybe a bug somewhere?

Best regards,
Fred