:: Re: [DNG] Newer version of libelogi…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Mark Hindley
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Newer version of libelogind0 not getting installed
Hi,

Mark Hindley <mark@???> writes:
> On Wed, May 04, 2022 at 08:38:06AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> and do not have a desktop installed in case that matters.
>> Instead I rely on startx to start i3 for me when I need a GUI.
>
> Ah, so, no libpam-elogind? Yes that probably makes a difference.

olaf@basecamp:~ apt list --installed 2>/dev/null | grep libpam
libpam-modules-bin/testing,now 1.4.0-13 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libpam-modules/testing,now 1.4.0-13 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libpam-runtime/testing,now 1.4.0-13 all [installed,automatic]
libpam0g/testing,now 1.4.0-13 amd64 [installed,automatic]

so yes, no libpam-elogind.

> The new dependency chains
>
> libpam-elogind -> elogind -> libelogind0
> libpam-elogind -> libelogind-compat -> libelogind0
>
> look right to me.
>
> I think the cause of this is that APT prefers real packages to virtual ones, ie
> real libsystemd0 to a Provides: libsystemd0. A few years ago, you would have had
> to explicitly install libelogind0 to replace libsystemd0.
>
> Having split the libelogind-compat package off from libelogind0 (for reasons
> previously discussed in this thread) and as you don't (need/want to) have
> libpam-elogind installed, then you will have to explicitly give APT the solution
> again (once). I don't see a way to make that happen automatically without
> libpam-elogind being installed. Or, am I missing something obvious?

Probably not. I've now installed libelogind-compat manually and marked
it automatic afterwards as illustrated in my previous mail. APT does
not try to auto-remove it, so I'm good.

Thanks for the quick fix and explanations,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                    FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27