:: Re: [DNG] Newer version of libelogi…
Author: Mark Hindley
To: Olaf Meeuwissen
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Newer version of libelogind0 not getting installed
Olaf,

On Wed, May 04, 2022 at 08:38:06AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> and do not have a desktop installed in case that matters.
> Instead I rely on startx to start i3 for me when I need a GUI.

Ah, so, no libpam-elogind? Yes that probably makes a difference.

The new dependency chains

libpam-elogind -> elogind -> libelogind0
libpam-elogind -> libelogind-compat -> libelogind0

look right to me.

I think the cause of this is that APT prefers real packages to virtual ones, ie
real libsystemd0 to a Provides: libsystemd0. A few years ago, you would have had
to explicitly install libelogind0 to replace libsystemd0.

Having split the libelogind-compat package off from libelogind0 (for reasons
previously discussed in this thread) and as you don't (need/want to) have
libpam-elogind installed, then you will have to explicitly give APT the solution
again (once). I don't see a way to make that happen automatically without
libpam-elogind being installed. Or, am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

Mark