:: Re: [DNG] mouse driver question
Author: Ralph Ronnquist
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] mouse driver question
On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 09:07:57AM -0700, Fred wrote:
> On 4/23/22 02:34, karl@??? wrote:
> > Fred:
> > > It shows up at /dev/ttyUSB0.  I have tried that command line several
> > > times.  Nothing happens.  ps -e shows gpm is running.  The pointer will
> > > not move and the mouse buttons have no effect.

> > You have to be aware that gpm is for virtual consoles:
> >
> > $ man gpm | grep 'gpm - '
> >         gpm - a cut and paste utility and mouse server for virtual consoles

> > So in X11, openbox etc. graphical environment, it has no effect unless
> > you take special action. With graphical environment I mean bitmapped as
> > opposed to character (i.e. letters) based graphics.
> >
> > Testing with gpm is best done without X11, so stop your window manager
> > (obenbox) and exit from X11. If you then is presented with a greeter
> > (also called display manager, see
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_display_manager_(program_type)
> > ), see if you can stop the greeter.
> >
> > Also testing has to be done as root.
> >
> > So, make sure you are running in a virtual console and logged in as
> > root, then run the gpm -b etc. thing and move the mouse around.
> >
> > To make the mouse to work in X11, please test the mouse with gpm in
> > a console first to assert basic functionality, and then come back.
> >
> > Regards,
> > /Karl Hammar

> Hi,
> I understand now. I was stuck on gpm because it worked some time ago on
> Debian Jessie. I was not ready to continue with it then because I still had
> use of my Sun workstation. The Sun is gone now, I was able to move the
> application program to Linux and now I need a three button mouse without the
> scroll wheel that works with X11. Maybe the Sun mouse.
>
> A previous post mentioned xorg.conf which doesn't appear to exist in Devuan
> Beowulf (AMD64).
>
> So, where do I go from here?

I think all mice are supposed to be handled by the kernel and will
then get presented at /dev/input/mice

You should be able to check that with a simple
    $ cat -v /dev/input/mice
which should then show "noise" when you move the mouse.

Then, I think the X11 system relies on udev for setting up its inputs
and load the appropriate modules. You may take over that and do things
"by hand" by a) making the following file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/a.conf
####
Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
EndSection
####

and b) installing xserver-xorg-input-kbd and xserver-xorg-input-mouse

With that you avoid the automagic processes around X11 inputs and
might have a slightly more stable system for tracking down the issue,
if it remains. (Needs an X11 restart of course)

Ralph.