:: Re: [DNG] mouse driver question
Author: Fred
To: marc
CC: Florian Zieboll, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] mouse driver question
On 4/21/22 23:00, marc wrote:
> Hello
>
>>> gpm (and I suppose also consolation) is active only on the console, not in virtual terminals - so there's no conflict.
>>>
>>> Libre Gr????e,
>>> Florian
>>>

>> I don't understand what you mean by virtual terminal. I don't use a DE,
>> just openbox. I may have two xterms open, nedit, tuxcmd plus some other
>> program. The mouse will work in any of these and its input would come from
>> one place, presumably the mouse driver. If I install gpm (or consolation)
>> what decides where the mouse input is coming from? It appears to me that
>> the default driver needs to be stopped but I don't know what it is called.
>
> Are you using gpm in repeater mode (-R with /dev/gpmdata)
> to somehow translate mouse buttons ?
>
> There are a number of programs to translate input devices (via /dev/uinput),
> including one written by yours truly... though given that gpm appears
> to be present in the upgraded distribution, just making sure that
> it runs with the correct options might be the easiest ?
>
> regards
>
> marc

Hi Marc,
I installed gpm but it was not able to capture the pointer. Likely I
don't know enough about how it works to choose the right options.

The original (USB) mouse appears to show up at /dev/input/mouse0. The
mouse I want to use has a TTL interface which is connected to one of the
FTDI serial to USB converters. When plugged in it appears at
/dev/ttyUSB0. I used minicom to verify it works. There was an article
somewhere on the Internet about using a Sun mouse on Linux and long ago
I tested their command line on Debian Jessie and it worked.

gpm -b 1200 -m /dev/ttyUSB0 -t msc

However, on Beowulf it does not do anything. ps -e shows that gpm is
running.
What should the command line be for repeater mode? /dev/gpmdata does
not exist.

Best regards,
Fred