:: Re: [DNG] information request
Author: tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] information request
On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:58:35 -0500
o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 6:37 AM Antony Stone
> <Antony.Stone@???> wrote:
> >
> > On Wednesday 20 April 2022 at 13:17:48, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings
> > >
> > > In the process of upgrading my system I now am stuck at a point where
> > > I don't know how to resolve the conundrum.
> > >
> > > /bin/sh: 1: /usr/bin/apt-listchanges: not found
> > > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/apt-listchanges --apt || test $? -lt 10
> > > returned an error code (1)
> > > E: Failure running script /usr/bin/apt-listchanges --apt || test $? -lt 10
> > >
> > > when I go to look at the files and folders in /usr/bin/ I can find
> > > this apt-listchanges but somehow the apt 'system' isn't seeing it or
> > > is seeing it poorly.
> > >
> > > When I try apt --fix-broken install I the same message.
> > >
> > > How do I resolve this - - - - -please?
> >
> > I found myself in exactly this situation recently.
> >
> > I had a machine running Beowulf with all mounted file systems as LVM logical
> > volumes. I created a duplicate LV of the root file system and rebooted from
> > it, then performed an upgrade to Chimaera.
> >
> > I wasn't happy (for reasons that don't matter here) with the result, so I
> > simply re-booted back into the untouched Beowulf root FS.
> >
> > Unfortunately I had neglected to consider the consequences of my having
> > created a separate /var partition in the first place, which got used by the
> > Chimaera upgrade, and was then thoroughly corrupted as far as Beowulf was
> > concered (mainly due to /var/dpkg, I'm sure).
> >
> > It turned out that the "/usr/bin/apt-listchanges: not found" message is highly
> > misleading, and means that the script could not find the Python interpreter it
> > expected to, not that the script itself could not be found.
> >
> > So, I think if you look at the first line of that script on your system, it
> > will point to something like /usr/bin/python3, which is probably a symlink to
> > something else in /usr/bin, which does not exist.
> >
> > I hope this should at least give you some pointers as to what it is you need
> > to fix - get the correct version of Python3 installed.
> >

> I had just previously deleted the folder python3.9 but python3.10 was
> right beside so thought deleting the previous would make more room (which I
> desperately need!!).
>
> When looking at the first lines in apt-listchanges - - - well I'm no programmer
> but the code looks more like Perl to me with the use of the :: directives but
> I dunno much about programming so that could be right out to lunch!!!
>
> Not seeing anything like what you're describing - - - sorry.
>
> When the tools to fix the broken tools don't work - - - - what are the options?
> Is there only a re-install?
> (That would be scary - - - - this is a complicated system and I've got piles
> of software installed!! - - - last time I did this things were quite hairy for
> quite a while!!!! Not fun at all!)
>
> Thank you for the information - - - good to know that the error message
> really doesn't connect with the real world - - - - I wasn't even able
> [...]

Hi,
as a last resort option you could try AT YOUR OWN RISK:

rename apt-listchanges to apt-listchanges.bak

create a dummy apt-listchanges by coping
/bin/true to /usr/bin/apt-listchanges

pray and restart your upgrade

when/if done delete /usr/bin/apt-listchanges
and rename /usr/bin/apt-listchanges.bak to /usr/bin/apt-listchanges

Just to be sure reinstall apt-listchanges

apt install --reinstall apt-listchanges

Hope this helps.

Ciao,
Tito