:: Re: [DNG] information request
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] information request
On Wednesday 20 April 2022 at 13:17:48, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:

> Greetings
>
> In the process of upgrading my system I now am stuck at a point where
> I don't know how to resolve the conundrum.
>
> /bin/sh: 1: /usr/bin/apt-listchanges: not found
> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/apt-listchanges --apt || test $? -lt 10
> returned an error code (1)
> E: Failure running script /usr/bin/apt-listchanges --apt || test $? -lt 10
>
> when I go to look at the files and folders in /usr/bin/ I can find
> this apt-listchanges but somehow the apt 'system' isn't seeing it or
> is seeing it poorly.
>
> When I try apt --fix-broken install I the same message.
>
> How do I resolve this - - - - -please?

I found myself in exactly this situation recently.

I had a machine running Beowulf with all mounted file systems as LVM logical
volumes. I created a duplicate LV of the root file system and rebooted from
it, then performed an upgrade to Chimaera.

I wasn't happy (for reasons that don't matter here) with the result, so I
simply re-booted back into the untouched Beowulf root FS.

Unfortunately I had neglected to consider the consequences of my having
created a separate /var partition in the first place, which got used by the
Chimaera upgrade, and was then thoroughly corrupted as far as Beowulf was
concered (mainly due to /var/dpkg, I'm sure).

It turned out that the "/usr/bin/apt-listchanges: not found" message is highly
misleading, and means that the script could not find the Python interpreter it
expected to, not that the script itself could not be found.

So, I think if you look at the first line of that script on your system, it
will point to something like /usr/bin/python3, which is probably a symlink to
something else in /usr/bin, which does not exist.

I hope this should at least give you some pointers as to what it is you need
to fix - get the correct version of Python3 installed.

Good luck,

Antony.

--
"I think both KDE and Gnome suck - I'm quite unbiased in that, because I use a
Mac."

- Jason Isitt

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.