:: Re: [DNG] Wifi problem - dhclient t…
Author: Florian Zieboll
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Wifi problem - dhclient times out with no reply - SOLVED
On Tue, 22 Mar 2022 00:38:05 -1000
Joel Roth via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> The problem seemed to be with my wifi configuration.
> I'd been using the 2.4GHz radio. Perhaps the settings,
> based on Apple recommendations, weren't the best.
>
> In any case, by enabling the 5GHz radio with AC mode,
> WPA2-PSK and 80MHz signal width my BCM43228 associated with
> the router and received an IP address.
>
> Thanks for your attention!

Hallo Joel,

may I ask, how you managed to set your Wifi-Adapter to 5GHz?

After moving to a new place where I have to go wireless with my Desktop
(WTH?!), yesterday I ran into a similar issue, with wpa_supplicant
(both, with '-D wext' and with '-D nl80211') as well as with a pure
'/etc/network/interfaces' config) [1]:

With both available USB-WiFi-Dongles (rtl8192cu and rt2800usb), I can
see the devices

    $ iw dev
    $ iw list
resp.
    $ iw phy0 info

as well as the available networks

    $ iw wlan0 scan

but dhclient times out, when querying the "Fritzbox":

    No DHCPOFFERS received.
    No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

Installing NetworkManager via Android-AP and '/etc/network/interfaces',
as an "emergency workaround", solved the issue for now. Interestingly,

    $ iw dev

tells me, that I am not connected with 5GHz, as I first had assumed,
but on

    channel 11 (2462 MHz), width: 20 MHz, center1: 2462 MHz

Now I'd be curious to see, if with 5Ghz I can go back to my plain old
config - and how it compares to 2.4GHz in a wooden House.

Thank you and libre Grüße,
Florian

BTW: I was very surprised to find chimaera's wicd depending on
networkmanager!

[1] https://cheatsheet.zwischenspeicher.info/2016/10/14-2017-02-05/