:: Re: [DNG] online purchasing (dunno …
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Ken Dibble
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] online purchasing (dunno - - - maybe OT)
On 3/9/22 11:11, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Wondering what others are noticing.
>
> I made a purchase from an online store - - - its a smaller entity that
> covers some interesting niches - - therefore the order.
>
> In doing the purchase - - - noticed, using uBlockOrigin and
> PrivacyBadger, that paypal 'only' has some 9 domains linked into the
> transaction. Hmmm - - - that's not all - - - that's what PrivacyBadger
> was picking up - - - uBlockOrigin noted that there were some 15
> domains of which it blocked some 4. Still linked were crackbook and a
> bunch of ms googly's garbage.
>
> So I called the company to tell them that I found this concerning.
>
> I asked the person that I was talking to if they were into internet
> privacy and security - - - very much so was the answer. So I asked him
> why he needed all these domains connected. The long and short of it
> was that he got quite huffy and asked me to cancel my order (and
> without saying so) get lost. It is more important to him that everyone
> and his dog know about his transactions that it is for him to make
> transactions.
>
> I do wish there were a way of warning other customers - - - - his
> website is likely a magnet for web bottom feeders and he doesn't think
> its worth things about.
>
> Oh well - - - for me - -
> - once and not again.
>
> Its bloody hard not to purchase online - - - what are any of you
> seeing, think about this, doing about this?
>
> What can be done to minimize the negative effects of dealing with this
> kind of website?
>
> Hopefully not just adjudged as noise!
>
> TIA

I am not sure what you mean by "domains linked in".  Two of the things I am

using for privacy are the Brave browser and dnsmasq with a continually
updated

list of of known domains of trackers and such.  The lists are updated on
my schedule

but do require a little tweaking by the download script because of
non-compliant host and domain naming (or ignoring the errors generated
by dnsmasq).

Mar  7 07:28:22 frank dnsmasq[32478]: read
/etc/blacklist/hosts_blacklist - 1435580 addresses

Regards,

Ken