:: Re: [DNG] Fake RAID
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Fake RAID
Le 09/03/2022 à 17:12, dng@??? a écrit :
> On 09-03-2022 16:55, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 02:42:07PM +0100, aitor wrote:
>>
>>> Did you read the following guide?
>>>
>>> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SataRaid
>> Interesting note.
>>
>> What is a "fake RAID"?  Is it a RAID or not?
>>
>> -- hendrik
>>
> A real RAID controller has hardware and software on board and often a
> battery backup. A "fake" RAID does have some hardware but no software
> or better some software but depends on a Windows driver for the RAID
> functions. Same trick as with Win modems and printers.

    I have worked with Dell Poweredge servers around 15 y ago. These
had PERC hardware RAIDs able to completely do the whole job without any
help from the OS. The configured RAID devices were seen by the kernel as
individual disks. After a few years working like this I configured the
PERC so as to show every disk individually (therefore no RAID), and
managed software RAIDs using mdadm. md RAIDS, not dm RAIDS. dm stands
for device-mapper, which also means Logical Volume Manager. On the
contrary of what is said in the Debian document, I found LVM (dm RAIDs)
not much more usefull than md and overly complex. On the other hand,
mdadm also is not a piece of cake but I can find my way with it and I
have developped a graphics monitoring tool for it, actually a little web
server displaying the status of all the host's md RAIDs.

    What I mean is that there is probably the possibility to configure
the PERC as no-RAID and build a software RAID on Linux, if this is
manageable for your Win10.

--     Didier