:: [DNG] Configuring ethernet port for…
Author: Joel Roth
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Configuring ethernet port for IPv6
Hi veteran admins,

It seems that my new router uses IPv6. Perhaps that means
the ISP does so as well.

My problem is connecting via dhcp over ethernet. On IRC
I was advised to try

ping ff02::1%eth1

which fails to get a response, indicating IPv6 is not enabled in my client.

I tried setting "iface eth1 inet6 dhcp" in /etc/network/interfaces,
then "ifup eth1". This fails with

no link-local IPv6 address for eth1

References suggest that "ifconfig eth1 up" or "ip link set dev eth1 up"
will trigger the kernel to assign an IPv6 address. Since
this is not happening, I'm asking the wisdom of the list VUAs
how to enable IPv6 for this port.

Thanks in advance,

--
Joel Roth